Friday, August 28, 2015

A Desperate Fortune (Book Review)

I bought a new Susanna Kearsley novel the other day which is exciting because now I get to talk about my favorite author of all time. I have read almost all of Kearsley’s books and she is honestly my greatest inspiration as a writer, especially of historical fiction. Every book I have read of hers is thoughtfully researched and beautifully portrays the combined stories of women living both now and many years ago.

I recently picked up ‘A Desperate Fortune,’ which just came out this year, but it took me awhile longer than usual to read it, probably because it was so rich in detail and I really wanted to remember every detail for later. Just as I always am after reading Kearsley’s novels, I was wide-eyed in admiration for the complexity and depth of the narrative and the characters.

‘A Desperate Fortune’ contains the stories of two main characters from two different times in history. Mary Dundas is a strong, creative young woman living in France who unexpectedly joins the rank of Jacobite spies during the 18th century. She is quite suddenly thrown from her quiet life into one fraught with danger and secrets and has to learn to survive in her new world. Almost three hundred years later, Sara seeks to translate her diary, which was written using a cipher, so that it can be used to aid an author doing historical research. Working from a quiet home in France, Sara slowly uncovers Mary’s story as a spy during a time of deeply held secrets and murderous schemes as she herself learns how quickly life can change.

As always, I am amazed at how original and interesting this book is. The characters are alive even within the confines of historical truths and the plot was intriguing throughout. Eventually we come to realize, just as Mary and Sara did, that even when we bury our expectations for love and life, there is always hope for the life we dreamed of.

If you enjoy historical fiction or even just a good love story, I recommend this novel as well as any other book by Susanna Kearsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment